how to tell which updated i've got for RHEL AS 3.0

Mark D. Hansen khookguy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 16:18:14 UTC 2005

I am new RHEL AS 3 and trying to figure out what "update" I am running.  Since, I'm installing IBM WAS 6.0 and it claims compatibility with RHEL 3.0 update 2 OR update 2, I want to know whether I'm on update 2, 3, or something else.

uname -a gives me this:

Linux redhat01.soa-book.com 2.4.21-9.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 17:08:56 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I use up2date to install all the latest patches.  Does that mean that I'm running the equivalent of update 4+ ??

Does this "update" terminology refer to distributions on CD that are different from what you end up with by using up2date?