up2date on kernel

Michael Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 05:17:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 12:26 -0700, David Bear wrote:
> it looks that up2date has kernel selected to ignore. I am wondering
> why.
>
> what are the conditions underwhich I would not want to keep my kernel
> up2date as well?
>
> Since most of my experience has been with Suse and Freebsd, I am
> wondering if there is some configuration with up2date whereby I only
> receive security critical updates. Or, is that only what up2date
> delivers?
>
> --
> David Bear
> phone: 	480-965-8257
> fax: 	480-965-9189
> College of Public Programs/ASU
> Wilson Hall 232
> Tempe, AZ 85287-0803
>  "Beware the IP portfolio, everyone will be suspect of trespassing"

Hi David. Yes the default configuration skips kernel*. At the command
line, you can run up2date like this:

up2date -u kernel kernel-smp kernel-utils --force

This will override the skip. The reason this is done is as the other
posters have mentioned - safety. A kernel update really should be an
attended change. Meaning a sysadmin should be there to do it.

It is possible to remove the kernel* skip in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
configuration file and have RHN and rhnsd set up to automatically
download and install the updates. However, as you may be aware, kernel
updates require a reboot.

Cheers,
Michael