wu-ftpd

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Mon Aug 1 12:21:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:54:08PM +0300, Ali Erdinç Köro?lu wrote:
> The main difference between RedHat and the other community distros
> is support, if you are not interesting with support why dont you use
> slackware, gentoo or ubuntu etc.. RedHat not selling license or something
> but support service.

Well, that's one view; but I believe you're missing a point, and if
you continue to operate under this assumption you'll miss much of the
utility of Linux.

You buy RedHat because it's a supported distribution, suitable for use
in a commercial environment.  I don't use RedHat on my personal/company
servers; *I* don't need the support, and the costs are right out of
my pocket.  But I wouldn't dare put something like Fedora in an untended
client site--while I have no qualms about dropping a RedHat Enterprise box
in as a mail server at such a site.

But there ARE packages that add real utility to a Linux installation
that, for one reason or another, aren't distributed by RedHat.
Commercial third- party applications; or Open Source packages that
they simply haven't decided are part of what they're going to support.
Linux, unlike Windows (and like Unix), is adequately designed such that,
unless a package actually requires kernel mods--and usually even then--it
is unlikely to bring down the system even when misbehaving.  You have
a stable, up-to-date system, AND you get your add-on capabilities.
If you have a problem with the add-on, disable or remove it and you're
either back where you were, or you find that the problem isn't because
of that package.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat