USB Strangeness on RHEL ES3

Rik Herrin rikherrin at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 14:25:39 UTC 2005

Hi,
  My USB flash disk is properly seen on some modern
machiens as well as older machines running RHEL ES3.
However, on some machines such as the Dell Dimension
8400 , dmesg reports no new activity when I insert the
USB flash disk into the USB port, although the sr_mod
and usb-storage as well as ehci modules are loaded.
Knoppix 3.9 has no problem seeing the USB on the Dell
machine.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your time...