After migration from RHEL3 to 4, PostScript files have unusual fo nt

erich.iseli at saint-gobain.com erich.iseli at saint-gobain.com
Thu Aug 18 08:30:31 UTC 2005

Hello list,

We've installed a new server with RHEL4 and notice that all postscript files
have a different font than they had on RHEL3.

What we have now is a bigger font with little to no space between the
letters. The difference is already visible on screen, when viewed with ggv,
but also when printed out. It looks as if a font that should be installed
was missing, but after checking which font packages are installed on both
systems, I don't see any apparent difference. Maybe I'm overlooking
something....

Here's an excerpt of the ps file where the word font appears. What packages
should I check that have to be installed? And what application does allow me
to debug the postscript file?

10-%%Orientation: Portrait
11:%%DocumentNeededResources: font Courier Helvetica-Bold Helvetica-Oblique
12-%%EndComments
--
29-  /HeaderY exch def /BarLength exch def
30:  /ftD /Times-Bold findfont 12 UP scalefont def
31:  /ftF /Times-Roman findfont 14 UP scalefont def
32:  /ftP /Helvetica-Bold findfont 30 UP scalefont def
33-  /fillbox{ % w h x y => -
--
36-  }def
37:  /LB{ % x y w h (label) font labelColor boxColor labelPtSize => -
38-    gsave
39-    /pts exch UP def /charcolor exch def /boxcolor exch def
40:    /font exch def /label exch def
41-    /h exch def /w exch def
--
45-    /ly y h add h lines pts mul sub 2 div sub pts .85 mul sub def
46:    font setfont charcolor setgray
47-    label {
--
67-  /HeaderY exch def /BarLength exch def
68:  /ftF /Times-Roman findfont 14 UP scalefont def
69:  /ftP /Helvetica-Bold findfont 14 UP scalefont def
70:  /LB{ % x y w h (label) font labelColor labelPtSize => -
71-    gsave
72-    /pts exch UP def /charcolor exch def
73:    /font exch def /label exch def
74-    /h exch def /w exch def
--
76-    /ly y h add h pts sub 2 div sub pts .85 mul sub def
77:    font setfont charcolor setgray
78-    label stringwidth pop 2 div x w 2 div add exch sub ly moveto
--
92-7.77 11.34 InitNullHeaders
93:/sf0{/Courier findfont 10 UP scalefont setfont}def
94-/s0{sf0 show}def
95:/sf1{/Helvetica-Bold findfont 10 UP scalefont setfont}def
96-/s1{sf1 show}def
97:/sf2{/Helvetica-Oblique findfont 10 UP scalefont setfont}def
98-/s2{sf2 show}def
--
243-} def
244:% build a font
245-/pdfMakeFont {
246:  4 3 roll findfont
247:  4 2 roll matrix scale makefont
248-  dup length dict begin
--
252-  end
253:  definefont pop
254-} def
255-/pdfMakeFont16 {
256:  exch findfont
257-  dup length dict begin
--
261-  end
262:  definefont pop
263-} def
--
271-    0 eq { /Identity-H } { /Identity-V } ifelse
272:    exch 1 array astore composefont pop
273-  } {
--
325-      pdfTextMat matrix concatmatrix dup 4 0 put dup 5 0 put
326:      exch findfont exch makefont setfont } def

Mit freundlichen Grüssen - kind regards - Meilleures salutations -
Vriendelijke groeten

Erich Iseli