wireless client

Wayne Betts wbetts at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 18 20:57:29 UTC 2005

Since you posted on a redhat-list, you might try redhat-config-network
or system-config-network as root.  But that's not the traditional Linux
way... :-)

If comfortable and permitted at Linux command line as root
then you can really sink your teeth into this:

First, "man iwconfig".  With the iwconfig command you have  good control
over what's happening, assuming

1. you know a bit about wireless networking (which you probably do)
2. the Wireless NIC is supported in the linux distribution he's using
(maybe - if not it can get pretty hectic, even for linux gurus and
requiring more than this simple post will provide :-(.)  Here's where I
got started a couple of years ago:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

Combine iwconfig with ipconfig (man ipconfig), route (man route) and the
dhcp client (if using dhcp), and you can do wonders.  (several different
dhcp clients have been used in the last few years of Redhat/Fedora
release: dhclient, pump or dhcpcd, so you may need to figure out which
one(s) you have and the basic usage).

If you try from the command line with iwconfig, but can't get it to
associate and get an address using the dhcp client, then any
user-friendly (aka GUI) configuration routine that you might hope to use
will probably also fail.  I've wasted a lot of time in those GUIs that
could have been replaced by only a few seconds or minutes at the command
line.

HTH,

Wayne