X start automatically.

Eris Caffee eris-redhat-list at eldalin.com
Sat Aug 27 13:46:58 UTC 2005

> It sometimes happens that I need to go to runlevel5 for X.
> instead of changing runlevel, what I wanted is make X run in runlevel3.
> what if I do this in my /etc/inittab, will it be valid
>
> -x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
> +x:35:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Yes, you can have "35" on that line and it should work just fine.  But if
you only need to run X sometimes, then maybe you should just use the
"startx" command after logging in to the shell.  When you are ready to
exit X, you can type Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.  That way
you won't have gdm loaded in memory at all times.

Eris Caffee