Email server control panel

Richard Bullington-McGuire rbulling at pkrinternet.com
Tue Aug 2 02:56:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Steve Buehler wrote:

> Richard
>        This might be what I was looking for.  But I have a few
> questions. Will dovecot have to be compiled and installed manually? Or
> will it work from the "out of the box" rpm install on RHEL ES 4?

It worked out of the box.

I've also used Dovecot on RHEL 3, using the RPM from the DAG repository.
I'm sold on dovecot, it is so much more flexible and high-performing than
the UW IMAP server.

> Also, the page you listed said it wouldn't do POP mail.  Is this true or
> is there something else that needs to be done to make it allow POP
> access?

It will do POP mail too, you just have to configure Dovecot to listen on
the POP3 or POP3S ports. I'd recommend that you allow only POP3S and
IMAPS, along with authenticated SMTP with TLS, so that your mail passwords
never go over the network in the clear.

>  Also, can it use a mailing list program like majordomo?  I didn't see
> that on the list either and again, I forgot to ask about that in my
> original post.  We have a couple of clients that use majordomo on our
> server.

I'd advise moving to GNU Mailman, it's supported out-of-the-box by RHEL 4.
Mailman works well with Postfix, you can even get it to add mailing lists
without having to manually edit an aliases file. I've gotten Mailman to
work with this setup. You could probably get Majordomo to work if you were
dead set on it, but Mailman is much better maintained these days.

You definitely need some broad and deep sysadmin skills to put all this
together, especially if you want to get a tight integration with mailing
list, antspam, and antivirus software.

--
  Richard Bullington-McGuire, Managing Partner, PKR Internet, LLC
  Email: rbulling at pkrinternet.com  Web: http://pkrinternet.com/