Can't get either NFS or SAMBA to work between 2 RH9 machines!!

I'm going up the wall here!
All I want to do is transfer my Evolution email stuff between two RH9
machines - I'm upgrading to a faster system. I can't copy the et
expanded files across, so I'm trying to mount the Evolution filesystem
on the new machine using either NFS or SAMBA, but can't get either to
work and it's driving me mad! I'm a fairly recent convert to linux
(about 6 months), but at this rate I might be driven back to Windows!
Any ideas please?

Andy