passwd

Eris Caffee eris-redhat-list at eldalin.com
Fri Aug 26 13:47:50 UTC 2005

> I created some accounts for users with the root ID. When they
> log in they cannot change their password. If they try with the passwd
> command they receive this error message, passwd: Authentication token
> manipulation error.

Hmm.  I've got RHEL3 update 5 and on my system if I create a new account
with UID 0 and then log in to that account, I get no token manipulation
error when changing the password, but instead it changes the password of
root itself.  I think that the passwd program must be using the UID to
look up the user entry in /etc/shadow and it simply takes the first one it
finds.  At least on my system.  I'm not sure why you are getting that
error.

However - try this.  When you change the password, actually specify the
username.  So if user bob has UID 0, then let him change his password with
"passwd bob".  That works on my system, and perhaps it will solve your
problem as well.

Eris Caffee