Users permissions

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Mon Dec 5 13:26:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:29:21PM +0000, Muhammad Rizwan wrote:
> Hello
> I want to set following user permissions on files and folders.
> 1- Set the same permissions on all the contents of selected directory.
> 2- Set the same permissions on all the files of selected directory
> (files).

The general form from the old Unix days is:

  find . -type d -print | xargs chmod <permissions>

for all directories in the current tree, and:

  find . -type f -print | xargs chmod <permissions>

for all normal files in the current tree.  Using such a form guarantees
portability across all flavors of Unix and Linux.  <permissions> above are
either octal bitmaps (e.g., 770) or mnemonics, e.g. "ug+rwx,g-t,o=r".

> 3- Set the user permission to delete the file or folder (in addition to
> read, write and execute).

That's going to depend on the permissions of the parent directory, not the
file itself.  They have to have write permission 'w', and if the file belongs
to someone else must not have the sticky bit set for group 't'.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	ignatz at dminet.com