How to redirect kernel/console messages

Nupur channu.j at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:05:08 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, Tobias Speckbacher <TSpeckbacher at quova.com> wrote:

> Try adding this line to /etc/syslogd.conf
>
> kern.*                          /var/log/kernel
>
> and restart syslogd (/sbin/service syslogd restart)
>
> If this is to be a permanent situation I'd suggest modifying logrotate
> accordingly, or else ...

Thanks a lot Tobias, it worked. Just wanted to confirm one more thing.
Do I need to restart syslog service everytime I enter a new command or
the service stops after sometime automatically?
I have to restart the service after some span/ after captring messages
by some commands. Is it normal?

Regards,
Nupur