RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 licensing

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Dec 8 12:37:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:54:05AM +0530, Rakesh Tripathi wrote:
> I'm not clear about RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 licensing. The EULA says that
> the end-user is free to copy and modify the software. Does this mean that if
> one has one copy of RHEL 3 procured from RedHat, he can copy the media and
> use it for other systems ?

The legal agreement can be found online.  Here is the US version:

The key phrase is this:

"The Services related to RHN are intended for use only for the benefit
of the Client and only for the Installed Systems with subscriptions.
Client may not use one subscription for Services for more than one
Installed System. Any unauthorized use of the Services will be deemed to
be a material breach of this Agreement."

Basically it says that if you install RHEL on more than one system, you
may not copy the patch updates from your subscribed system to a
non-subscribed system.

I am *NOT* a lawyer.  Do not treat this is as legal advice.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA