Compiling a new RHEL-4 kernel

Tom Callahan callahant at tessco.com
Tue Dec 20 14:25:05 UTC 2005

First off, this will void your support contract. But to get the kernel
sources, read the RHEL4 release notes available on redhat's site.

As far as your tape changer issue, verify that sg5 is indeed your
changer and not an individual tape device. Once you have verified that,
create a symlink /dev/changer -> /dev/sg5

`mtx status` should then show you stats about your changer.

If you get stats, read the mtx manpage about how to load/unload tapes.
If no stats appear, try a different sg device until you find the correct
one.

NOTE: /dev/st0 will rewind the tape after each write, /dev/nst0 will
not, I recommend if using a tape for backup, that you use /dev/nst0, and
then manually issue a rewind at the end of the backup functions. This
prevents you from inadvertantly overwriting previously backup up data.

Thanks,

Tom Callahan
TESSCO Technologies
(443)-506-6216
callahant at tessco.com

A real engineer only resorts to documentation when the keyboard dents on the forehead get too noticeable.