What is the major difference between RH 3 and RH 4

Tom Callahan callahant at tessco.com
Fri Dec 23 18:36:18 UTC 2005

RedHat 4 uses udev, which is a far step away from devfs. The device tree
is populated at boot time dynamically, and there are many things you
will need to learn about how to configure device perms, etc. with udev.
I suggest purchasing a RHEL4 or FC4 study guide or book.

HAL is the hardware abstraction layer, which I believe is new with
RHEL4, but was present (correct me if wrong) in fc2 and fc3. Again this
is something you need to read and study.

The differences are not too great, but kernel 2.4 and 2.6 are quite
different, and you would benefit greatly from a book on RHEL4 or FC4.
Christopher Negus writes the "Red Hat Fedora and Enterprise Linux 4
Bible" which I recommend.

Thanks,

Tom Callahan
TESSCO Technologies
(443)-506-6216
callahant at tessco.com

A real engineer only resorts to documentation when the keyboard dents on the forehead get too noticeable.