RH ES 4.0 SMP hangs at boot (&%$*!!11!!)

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Fri Dec 30 15:24:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have an Fujitsu-Siemens RX200 dual-XEON (with Hyperthreading, 32 bit)
machine. It worked very well under RH AS 3. A reinstall to RH ES 4
however brings grief: The 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp kernel hangs at boot
right after "Booting the kernel". The non-SMP kernel boots nicely.
I have tried to boot w/o the bootime 'quiet' option but don't get
any more messages.

Next I will remove all the additional PCI cards from the server to
see whether anything changes.

Any additional hints? I checked Bugzilla and the Google but so far
to no avail.

Best,

-- David