[Q] Way to do system backup and recovery?

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Tue Feb 1 13:37:38 UTC 2005

> http://www.mondorescue.org
>
> One of the options is to create ISO images that you can leave on disk.
> That way you could have your backup group back up those ISOs
> and if you
> ever have a disaster, restore the ISOs to any system with a CD burner,
> burn them, and then do your recovery.  You could, of course, do your
> entire backups this way and burn them to either CD or DVD if you want.
>
> I've done specific file backups with Mondo Rescue but have
> not yet done
> a full system backup and restore (that's this week's project).

I have and it works flawlessly. One good (free) backup system is to use
Mondo to create a starting point and backuppc
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net  to backup daily. Then if you need to do a
bare metal restore, put in the Mondo disks, bring up the system, and with a
couple of click it gets brought up to date.