Running 2 sshd daemons

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:07:33 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I would like to be able to run 2 sshd daemons on my linux machine, one which
would use port 22, be accessible to machines on my LAN, and use a
configuration file pointing to public/private keys without a passphrase; and
the other would use some other port which I define which will be accessible
from the public internet through my modem and firewall; this second sshd
daemon would use a configuration file pointing to public/private keys with
passphrase.

My question is: can I run two sshd daemons on one machine?  Am I opening
myself up to security issues/conflicts?

I already have an sshd daemon running on a port other than 22; now, can I
add a second on port 22 for local purposes?

Thanks,
Michael