RPC error when umounting an NFS mount point

James D. Parra Jamesp at MusicReports.com
Tue Feb 8 17:45:26 UTC 2005

Hello,

We have one server hosting the home directories via an NFS share for all the
other Linux boxes. We needed to reboot the system and when attempting to
"umount -f" the NFS /home shares on the other machines we get the following
error;

Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive
umount:

How can we unmount this NFS share without rebooting the systems? Some
machines actually hang on the RPC indefinitely during shutdown.

Thank you in advance,

James