Network on NEC machine

John Longland johnl at im-systems.com
Wed Feb 9 09:57:52 UTC 2005

Hi all

Got and oldish (??) NEC machine from someone and I am loading
LINUX on it. Initially I suspected the CDROM to be faulty and tried
a network install. THe "bootnet" image could not detect the PCI-NIC.
I since installed via the CDROM and now that I want to add the network
by hand, it reports that  it cannot find the network card.
( I created the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
  and edited the /etc/conf.modules file )

The PCI interface-bus is not directly on the motherboard, but it is a card
mounted vertically on the motherboard.
The machine is a NEC, Intel CPU  Pentium 75-200

LINUX:	RH6.1
Kernel 2.2.12-20
On startup it says that no useable cards are found, driver not loaded
/lib/........./ne2k-pci.o  device or resource busy

Doing a MODPROBE and IFCONFIG ETH0 UP
reports the same.

Can someone help ???

TIA !!!!