Problem Binding to Nis server

Schott, Erik J Mr ANOSC/FCBS erik.schott-FCBS at NETCOM.ARMY.MIL
Wed Feb 9 15:43:39 UTC 2005

Hi Andrew.  Type "domainname bsaeg", minus the quotes, at the command prompt
and see if your NIS clients can bind.  You may have to stop and start ypbind
to accomplish this.

After that, run ypwhich to make sure you are communicating with the NIS
server.

Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
[mailto:Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 6:22 AM
To: wang_zc at yahoo.co.uk; General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Problem Binding to Nis server

Using one machine as an example it says none when i do type domainname it
should say bsaeg. Below are a few files if you see something wrong anybody
let me know. Also does anyone know how i can get the machines that have
hung back to a command line so i can make changes if needed.

[root at lin5 sysconfig]# domainname
(none)

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
106.30.30.25 saruman
106.30.30.26 gandalf
106.30.19.9   ukcov1cluster
106.30.19.5   corusnode-1.ukcov1.com
106.30.19.8   asu1
106.30.19.10  asu2
106.30.19.11  asu3

/etc/fstab

LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/local_scratch    /local_scratch          ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0
asu2:/H/General/Exchange /scratch nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,bg,intr 0 0
asu2:/E/Unix /user nfs  rsize=8192,wsize=8192,bg,intr 0 0
asu1:/J/Projects /projects  nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,bg,intr 0 0
asu2:/G/Apps/Linux /software nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,bg,intr 0 0

/etc/yp.conf

domain bsaeg server gandalf
ypserver gandalf

/etc/resolv.conf

domain bsaeg

/etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd: files nis
shadow: files nis
group:  files nis
hosts:  files nis dns
bootparams:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers: files
netmasks:       files
networks:       files
protocols:      files
rpc:    files
services:       files
netgroup:       files
publickey:      nisplus
automount:      files
aliases:        files

/etc/sysconfig

NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=""
NISDOMAIN=bsaeg
HOSTNAME=lin5
GATEWAY=106.30.16.1

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

|         |           zhicheng wang      |
|         |           <wang_zc at yahoo.co.u|
|         |           k>                 |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           redhat-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com        |
|         |           09/02/2005 10:06   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           wang_zc; Please    |
|         |           respond to General |
|         |           Red Hat Linux      |
|         |           discussion list    |

---------------------------------------------------|

<redhat-list at redhat.com>                                               |
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: Problem Binding to Nis server

---------------------------------------------------|

if you type domainname on both server and client, what
do you get?

 --- Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com wrote:
> I have a problem with all of machines not binding to
> NIS on Boot and the
> boot stops at this point and will go no further. Can
> someone advise me on
> what to check. ie what files etc and how i can get
> to a point to change
> what ever i have changed to cause this issue. As
> much advice ASAP would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic21718.jpg)> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe

=====
Best wishes