Multiple IPs on single interface

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Feb 15 18:42:16 UTC 2005

FWIW, it might be a better alternative, instead of the ethX:Y setups, via
virtual interfaces, to simply alias the IPs using the "ip addr add"
commands.  You simply add lines like the following into your
/etc/init.d/rc.local file:

ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 dev eth0
ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2 dev eth0

There are a number of fairly good reasons to go with this type of setup,
rather than virtual ethX:Y interfaces:

1) You don't have to keep track of what interfaces are set up.
2) You don't have to maintain multiple configuration files for all of
   those virtual interfaces.
3) I've found, in the past, that iptables doesn't like working with the
   virtual interfaces all that much.  Working with standard interface
   devices, like eth0, eth1, and then just the IPs, has seemed to work
   much better for me.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit