kindly confirm

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Tue Feb 15 19:52:40 UTC 2005

At 09:18 AM 2/15/2005, Opesh Alkara wrote:

>Hi Jason,
>
>I too have the same problem...please confirm that I
>need to replace the IPADDR and GATEWAY with the
>corresponding IP addresses or not (means I need to
>replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with respective alias IP or
>not). I know it sounds silly, but I can't take a
>chance  of rebooting the machine as my configuration
>are UP at this point of time. Please verify thesame
>for me.
>

>DEVICE=eth0:1
>ONBOOT=yes
>BOOTPROTO=static
>IPADDR=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>NETMASK=255.255.254.0
>GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00

The IPADDR is the IP address that you want on eth0:1.  If you have 5 IP
addresses that you want on the machine.  192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5.  Lets
say 192.168.1.1 is eth0.  You can have:
eth0:1 = 192.168.1.2
eth0:2 = 192.168.1.3
eth0:3 = 192.168.1.4
eth0:4 = 192.168.1.5

No, they don't have to be in that order.  You can have the 192.168.1.4 on
eth0:1 if you want.  If your gateway is setup in your
/etc/sysconfig/network file (not sure if this is required or not or if it
reads it from the ifcfg:eth0 file), you can add the following line to your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file to start up when you start your machine:
ip addr add 192.168.1.2/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.1.3/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.1.4/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.1.5/32 dev eth0

In my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, I have the following line at the end of the
file:
sh /etc/ips
The /etc/ips is just a shell script file with the following lines in it
#!/bin/sh
ip addr add 192.168.224.27/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.10/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.11/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.12/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.13/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.14/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.15/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.16/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.17/32 dev eth0
ip addr add 192.168.225.18/32 dev eth0

I actually have a total of 61 IP's in mine.