How to add a new partition to an existing Red HAT 8

bj bhamal at wlink.com.np
Sun Feb 20 02:53:59 UTC 2005

Hi !

I have a red hat 8.0 & Windows 2000 on a intel box with a 60 GB hard drive .

Only 20 GB has been partitioned into 10 GB of NTFS and 9 GB of Linux , file
id 83 ext 3 and 1 GB of Linux swap , file id 82 .

I want to use some free unallocated space from the remaining 40 GB for my
linux .

But I could not get fdisk (from the command prompt ) to show me the
unallocated space  and partition it .

I could see the unallocated free space when I run KDE hardware browser .

I could find the GUI disk druid too .

So How do I partition the unused free space for my red hat 8.0 .

Which utility do I use ?

When ever  I use  fdisk , and choose option n ( to add a partition ) , it
gives an error message saying that I need extended partition or I need to
delete old partition to create a new one .

But I have 40 GB of un used space on my hard drive.

Please advice .

Thank you for your help in advance .

cheers,
bj