Freeing unused kernel memory - Update

Mark Farmer farmerma at cromwell.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 09:28:47 UTC 2005

Mark Farmer wrote:
> The system uses lilo for a bootloader, I dropped to a boot prompt & did
> 'linux single' but the result is exactly the same, however something has
> changed after I booted back into rescue mode using the cd, having read
> via Google about problems with swap space I chrooted into /mnt/sysimage
> and did a 'mkswap /dev/sda8' as fdisk & fstab list that partition as
> being swap, now when the machine stops booting at the "freeing unused
> kernel memory" hitting ctrl+alt+del does not reboot the box, it gives a
> message "md: stopping all md devices" and hangs there.
>
> I'm thinking now that it is a swap problem as the previous boot logs
> show that "adding swap" is the next stage in the boot process.  Is it
> safe to use fdisk to delete & re-add the swap partition in rescue mode,
> of course doing an 'mkswap /dev/sda8' afterwards?

I tried a couple of other boot options, first I tried 'linux
init=/sbin/init' no joy there, then 'linux init=/bin/sh' which got me to
a very basic system with a prompt, so now i'm wondering if there's a
problem with init.  Is it possible to reinstall init from an rpm?
Anyone think this will help?

--
Mark Farmer
Linux System Administrator

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Registered Office: PO Box 14, Chartwell Dr, Wigston, Leicester. LE18 1AT