Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved.

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Feb 22 12:47:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:36:34AM +0000, Mark Farmer wrote:
> OK folks, for the record & for anyone else who gets stuck on this, I
> fixed the problem by booting into rescue mode from cd1, chrooted into
> /mnt/sysimage and forced a reinstall of init like this:
>
> When in rescue mode & chrooted mount the cdrom: mount /mnt/cdrom
> Use rpm to force a reinstall of init:
> rpm -ivh --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/SysVinit-2.78-19.i386.rpm
>
> Exit the chroot environment & reboot.
>
> Hope this helps someone in the future :-)

Don't forget to check for updates to the SysVinit package too...

You may also want to download a current copy of chrootkit and see if you
have been rooted.  http://www.chkrootkit.org/

There's a reason that you corrupted your init image and you need to know
what it is.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA