Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved.

Mark Farmer farmerma at cromwell.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 14:12:49 UTC 2005

Ed Wilts wrote:
> Don't forget to check for updates to the SysVinit package too...
>
> You may also want to download a current copy of chrootkit and see if you
> have been rooted.  http://www.chkrootkit.org/
>
> There's a reason that you corrupted your init image and you need to know
> what it is.

Thanks very much for the advice.

We have the newest version of SysVinit available for 2.1
I grabbed a copy of the latest chkrootkit & ran a check both locally and
by nfs mounting the machines disk on a trusted box, all seems clear :-)

I suspect that the problem occured due to the error on cpu1 which hung
the box but i've not been able to find any record of that error in
/var/log/messages as it was printed to screen, any clues as to other
things/places to check for such an error and/or the cause?

--
Mark Farmer
Linux System Administrator

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Registered Office: PO Box 14, Chartwell Dr, Wigston, Leicester. LE18 1AT