Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Feb 23 19:18:53 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I am looking into upgrading a lot of the software (PHP, MySQL, sendmail,
Apache) on my 2 servers (RH8 and RH9) but I'm quite nervous about it.
These are both production servers and I cannot afford to have the
upgrades go south (probably because of lack of knowledge on my part) and
the servers stop functioning. One is a web server and the other handles
email.

What I'd like to do is make a backup of the entire filesystem (or
whatever parts are necessary) that I can use to restore the failed
upgrade back to a working state.

For example, let's say I'm upgrading MySQL and I do something wrong and
I ruin the install. At this point I'd like to take the backup I made,
restore it, restart (if necessary) and be back in business with my old
configuration.

I'm currently already making nightly backups of /home, /var, and /etc.
Will those be enough to successfully restore?

Thanks,
Chris.