upgrading or fixing kde

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:40:35 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 23:11, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:40:29PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> > I'm using enterprise workstation v3. It was installed in my dell that
> > I just purhased. When I notice the kde version is rather old and
> > missing certain components. How might I go about upgrading to a new
> > kde or adding components that are missing? I'm looking specifically
> > for ksnapshot right now.
>
> You probably won't get a new version of KDE without upgrading to RHEL 4
> - too many things change in terms of binary compatibility for Red Hat to
> release a full KDE update for RHEL 3.

Yes, you won't get a newer version of KDE from Redhat, however, if you are
adventourous, there is a KDE-Redhat project that has newer version of KDE
package for Redhat (including RHEL 3):
http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

**WARNING**: if you install KDE from this, your it will *not* be supported by
Redhat. Redhat will not supply you with any security patch or anything like
that for this. So basically you're on your own, or dependent to the
KDE-Redhat project to get updates, security fix, etc.

> ksnapshot is included in the kdegraphics rpm.  Install that with
> up2date.

I confirm that.

RDB
--