java hangs in cron

Kamal Raj kraj at eforceglobal.com
Sun Feb 27 01:18:32 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a java program which makes connection to Oracle database to
retrieve some data and sends email. This java is being executed from
crontab for every 10 minutes. I have a (.sh) shell script which will set
the required environment variables and calls ant task "ant
deliveryEmailProcess". If I run this shell script from command line the
java class is being executed and delivers the email but from crontab it
hangs when it tries make connection to database.

The shell script is like this
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/gms/bin
. ./gmsenv.sh
echo  Calling delivery email processing
echo ----------------------------------
ant -verbose deliveryemailprocessing
echo ----------------------------------

the connection to database in java
provider = "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver";
Connection connection;
Class.forName(provider);
connection = DriverManager.getConnection(connectUrl, user, password);

If I run the shell script it works fine but from cron it hangs on
"getConnection" method. I also tried a "strace <pid>" on the hanging
java process and I got the following
Process 3775 attached - interrupt to quit
[ Process PID=3775 runs in 32 bit mode. ] fute0x810dc20, FUTEX_WAIT, 2,
ptrace: umoven: Input/output error {...}

Please let me know what could be the issue here.

Thanks,
Kamal