Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved.

Mark Farmer farmorg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:50:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:32:27 -0800 (PST), Mike Wooding
<timmywooding at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Mark Farmer <farmerma at cromwell.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > OK folks, for the record & for anyone else who gets stuck on this, I
> > fixed the problem by booting into rescue mode from cd1, chrooted into
> >
> > /mnt/sysimage and forced a reinstall of init like this:
>
>  Was "init" missing? Corrupted? I.e. what did you see
>  that prompted you to reinstall init?

I'm not sure what was wrong with init to be honest, I checked the boot
logs of previous sucessfull boots & noted that init was the first
thing that was started after freeing the unused kernel memory, seems
so obvious now I could kick myself as we all know that "init comes
first" right?.  Since that seemed to be the part that was failing I
figured reinstalling init would either make or break the situation,
things couldn't get much worse at that point so I went for it & it
payed off :-)

--
Mark Farmer RHCT
Registered Linux User 353158