can't access cups

Cleber P. de Souza cleberps at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 22:15:48 UTC 2005

There are some places where you could verify about this.
1) Could be a problem into the cupsd.conf file that define the port
used by the http access.
2) Could be a problem with the firewall rules.
3) Your browser could be using proxy and the localhost machine isn't
defined within the 'don't use proxy for these address' and due this,
your firewall rules don't match the correct criteria.

I had some troubles with some drivers, but I get them from
www.linuxprinting.org and so i solve them.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:21:57 +0000, Jack Byers <byersj at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com
>
> I havent had this much pain/trouble on linux for many years
>
> I have been attempting to configure a printer via cups  on an rh8.0 system
>
> doing a lot of googling etc and reading documentation
> the thing is i think i understand roughly what i am supposed to do
> and i got partway there the other day and got the cups wizard going via
> localhost:631
>  and got a printer w  name hpcups  supposedly set up,
> but of course there were some problems, ...
>
> ok so i tried going back and redoing the config w different driver etc,
> etc...
>
> but now i cant access  localhost: 631 at all !?
>
> response from the browser
>   The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631
>
> huh?
>
> similarly
> [root at corni root]# lpinfo -v
> lpinfo: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> [root at corni root]#
>
> [root at corni root]# lpadmin -p hpcups
> lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> [root at corni root]#
>
> more weirdness:
>
> [root at corni root]# /etc/init.d/cups start
> Starting cupsd:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root at corni root]# /etc/init.d/cups status
> cupsd is stopped
> [root at corni root]#
>
>  isnt this last pair of results  inconsistent?
>     --the starting cupsd   says Ok
>     --but the status msg says cupsd is stopped
>
> I know cupsd was working in some fashion for me two days ago
> i got the printer  'hpcups'  at least partially configured
>
> ??????
> any advice/hints appreciated
> i dont see anything at this level of dumbness  on google at all
>
> Jack

Cleber P. de Souza