LABEL in grub.conf

Bill Matthews bill.matthews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 18:44:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:43:06 -0600, Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> wrote:
> This label is normally written to the partition so that you know exactly
> which partition you're mounting.  It's possible that with SCSI drives
> your drives will get renumbered if a drive fails in the middle of the
> list.  You use the e2label command to see and changel the label.

That was my problem.  In order to prepare for a restore, I start with
a blank disk, and format it to match my old drive.  But in doing that,
I don't think volume labels ever got set. "e2label /dev/sda1" returns
/boot but "e2label /dev/sdb"1 returns nothing. .

So in order for grub.conf to boot the new drive, I have to assign
partition labels, or change grub.conf to use physical device names?

BM