adding user starting with caps letter fails on linux

Moehlman, Mike mmoehlman at txi.com
Tue Jan 11 16:06:34 UTC 2005

> > >From the manpage for the passwd file on RHEL 3 it clearly states
that
> > the account field in a passwd entry should *not* contain capital
> > letters.
> >
> > I'm not sure it is fair to characterize this as a bug.  While other
> > flavors of UNIX-like operating systems do allow this,
>
> Earlier releases of Red Hat Linux also allow this.  It's not a bug
since
> it's clearly documented, but it is a new restriction.
>
> > I'm not aware of
> > anyone who actually uses mixed-case usernames.
>
> We do :-(.  We have accounts like RedHat where each word of the
company
> name is capitalized.  I didn't like and I'm personally glad that Red
Hat
> added the restriction so our account management folks don't do that to
> me again.

We do also.  This is exception, not the rule however.
Environment:
Simple scanner guns using a host based application.  The users are
workers with protective gear (gloves), sometimes in a hazardous work
environment.  For these users, we create an account in both all lower
and all upper case (same uid).  This allows them to get a session on the
system regardless of how the caplock is set.  We don't need them to have
to deal with lowercase/uppercase issues.