7.3, 9, then Fedora? (was Compiling kernel rpm)

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Jan 16 10:32:41 UTC 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 05:08, Blair Lowe wrote:
> OK, I'm in. Now can I set a network interface up without X with any
> network mask with any of these products (hopefully the latest one)?
> How about two or more network interfaces?
yes. Easily:
netconfig -d eth1
netconfig -d eth2
etc...
netconfig only writes the config files for you, so you'll have to
reinitialise the interfaces you configure manually with 'ifup/ifdown'
or 'service network restart'

> It is just that the curses version of redhat-config-network is poorly
> developed.
the new version in FC3 is much better...
be aware that all of the old redhat-config-* tools are now called
system-config-<whatever>.

> What about configuring our own rpm's into a grey distro - can we do that
> easily, and add our own packages (such as qmail, apache-mod_ssl etc.)?
you mean customising the install list so that home-built packages can be
installed as part of a default install?
yes, although it isn't particularly trivial.
this usually involves experimenting with anaconda and anaconda-runtime
and *will* involve setting up an install tree and customising its
comps.xml file, putting your custom rpms in the RPMS directory and running
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist /path/to/installtree --productpath=Fedora
(Typos excepted)
> Is kickstart still used, or is that now something else. How easy is it
> to set up ONE bootable dvd with the distro on it?
yes, kickstart is still used.
Fedora Core 3 is available as a DVD iso image as well as CDs.
If however you wish to customise it to include your RPMS etc etc, you will
have to experiment a bit.In fact there are scripts on the internet and
articles in magazines which will tell you how to do this.
there is anarticle in Linux Magazine this month about building a custom FC3
DVD (I don;t knwo if the European edition is available where you are)
These links may help :
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/story14425.html
http://acd.ucar.edu/~fredrick/linux/linux-kickstart/

> Can I put the distro on more than one box, or are their user licences?
Fedora Core does not require registration or licenses, so you can put it on as
many boxes as you like.
The Enterprise (RHEL) products do.

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX
Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world.