Boot hangs!!

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Tue Jan 25 15:38:07 UTC 2005

Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
> This is the first problem I've had with redhat in a very long time.
> I'm installing rh8 on a system that was running rh7 with no problem for
> three years.
> I wiped the drive and installed rh8 but it won't boot.
> Here's the layout.
> /dev/hda1 /boot
> /dev/hda2 /
>
> grub.conf
>
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
> 	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
>
> Filesystem is set for ext3 but when the system boots this is what I get.
>
> root (hd0,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
>  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x11154a]
>
> I've tried chaging the BIOS around and have wipe the drive with a winblow
> boot disk and fdisk /mbr still nothing
>
> I need this system up ASAP
>
> TIA
>
> Jason

www.centos.org as RH8 and 9 are no longer supported.  Your best bet is
to download CentOS and go from there, read up on it and see what it
is....it's Enterprise RH3 without support, though you could get an RHCE
to support it if needed, and they have their own commercial support.

I use it often.

Wade