Is anyone on the list using "formmail" CGI script on their RH Apache implementations?

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Wed Jan 26 14:59:57 UTC 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Sebastijan Petrovic wrote:

> I've been using FormMail (well known, I'm sure) CGI script on my Apache
> servers for 5-6 years and never had a problem.
>
> I recently upgraded from RH9 to FC2 and FormMail no longer works.
> Rather, I keep getting 500 errors on the server.
>
> I tested the script from command line and it's fine, the path to the
> script is good as well as the permissions.

How did you test it?  What was the output?

> When I review error_log for Apache it shows Premature end of script
> headers: FormMail.pl
>
> I wonder if the issue is a version of the Perl, on FC2 it's version 5.9
> and on RH9 I run 5.8.
>
> I know there are bunch of sites out-there specific to CGI and perl
> issues, but I've been unable to locate decent help.

PerlMonks (http://www.perlmonks.org) is a fantastic site for Perl
programmers, but not necessarily for application debugging.  Your first
avenue should always be the application support forum/list.

> If someone is familiar with the script but uses something else instead
> (i.e. Java script) please suggest it.

I don't use FormMail.pl.  As best I recall, it has had a history of
security holes.  I imagine it would be quite simple to whip up an
alternate solution in Perl.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting