rh-l] Re: Up2date

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Jan 17 03:11:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Ed Wilts wrote:

> You could also attempt to migrate from RHEL to one of the rebuilds like
> Tao, CentOS, or White Box Linux.  I've never tested this and don't know
> what issues you will run into.  It probably shouldn't be tried for
> people who want it "to be very basic for dummies".

It is not so hard; the process has not changed much.  First
read and heed:
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/

Review the Ceontos and Caosity project websites, and decide if
the project has what you need.
 	http://centos.caosity.org/ -and-
 	http://www.caosity.org/

And once your backups are done, basically:

1.	Get rid of a possible conflict
 		rpm -e redhat-release

2.	Fetch the Centos signing key into RPM
 		rpm --import \
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-3

3.  	Install yum:
 		rpm -ivh \
http://mirror.centos.org:/centos/3/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/yum-2.0.8-1.centos.7.noarch.rpm

4.	Edit the yum.conf to contain:

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#released updates
[update]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

5.	Do the first part of the cutover:
 	yum -y upgrade rpm glibc
 	rpm -vv --rebuilddb

6.	Do a reboot, to set the new libraries

7.      Do the rest of the cutover:
         yum -y upgrade

-- Russ Herrold