Is anyone on the list using "formmail" CGI script on their RH Apache implementations?

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Wed Jan 26 15:06:58 UTC 2005

At 09:47 AM 1/26/2005, Sebastijan Petrovic wrote:

>I recently upgraded from RH9 to FC2 and FormMail no longer works.
>Rather, I keep getting 500 errors on the server.
>
>I tested the script from command line and it's fine, the path to the
>script is good as well as the permissions.

You could rig up a simple script as a driver using Perl's LWP::UserAgent
package to post to the script from a command line script and check if
there's a problem which is not web specific. I'm thinking it dies at the
sendmail cmd, which you could check by turning on autoflush ($|=1;) then
printing something before and after the open to sendmail line.

>If someone is familiar with the script but uses something else instead
>(i.e. Java script) please suggest it.

I'm a web developer and wouldn't suggest Javascript because it's client
dependent. Once you get something working on your server it's likely to
remain stable - present exception noted. :)

My own formmail is free for download, or web based install from my website.
If there is a problem will be happy to help you debug it.

If you haven't verified that it is in fact possible to generate an email on
your new server from a script then it would be my favorite theory of where
the problem is. Are you using sendmail, or the site's SMTP server? My
script supports either method, with just a bit of code change that I'll
help with if you want.

Hope this helps,

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal