X-win32 connection to RHEL3 upgrade 5

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Tue Jul 19 21:31:07 UTC 2005

Hello,

I try to connect to a Dell poweredge 2800 running RHEL3 upgrade 5

For some reason X-win32 doesn't want to connect. (or start a session).

I disabled the firewall.
In the "login window" app, I enable xdmcp and all that.

but still nothing is happening.

The kernel that I am running on the new machine is:
Linux csafs.depauw.edu 2.4.21-32.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 15 21:17:59 EDT
2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

A bit ago I installed another server (Dell poweredge 2600) basically the
same way, only difference is the version of the OS:
Linux csplan.depauw.edu 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT
2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

and that one just works fine.

So what's the difference,  how can I set up the csafs server in such a
way that I can do remote X logins ?

thanks,

Ron