RHEL License issue

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 28 07:43:53 UTC 2005

My understanding is you need a licence/subscription per production
server (and even one for each server for testing purposes which seems a
bit harsh)

Once setup in rhn.redhat.com, you will only be able to patch one server
using up2date if you only have one licence key. The rest will not get a
subscription channel so will not be patchable, and indeed will not show
any patches as being needed.

You can install thousands of redhat servers off the one cd, indeed I
have 30 something servers built via kickstart off the same CD, but they
all have a individual registered licence each.

I also understand that if you have an AS3 key, it is OK to install AS4,
(or even as2.1) you cannot install ES3 or ES4 though (ie downgrade on
the fly) as you will not have a licence.

The sales people at redhat should be able to tell you all this.

Regards

Steven aka Thing