Is this possible using Kickstart?

Rik Herrin rikherrin at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 11:43:11 UTC 2005

Hi,
  Thanks a lot.  I was able to pull it off although
I've only been trying it locally before trying it
remotely.  The only problem so far is that it gives me
a message:
  			Complete
	Congradulations, your Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
installation is complete.
	Press <Enter> to reboot your system.

Is there any way to make it skip this screen and
automatically reboot the system?  Thanks for your
time.

> From: Eris <eris-redhat-list at eldalin.com>
> Subject: Re: Is this possible using Kickstart?

> On Friday 29 July 2005 02:21 pm, Rik Herrin wrote:

>   I want to put the Red Hat EL isos on a partition
and
> configure grub to automatically start a kickstart
> installation.
> The server is on a remote machine which I only have
ssh
> access to.

>What you need can be done, but it is tricky because
everything has to go exactly right or else you will be
paying your hosting company to restore your hard
drive.  I've only done this once and I was doing it on
my home LAN only as practice in case I ever needed to
do it for real.  It took me several tries to get it
right, so if you can practice on a local LAN first
where you have physical access, that would be good.

>WARNING!  If you can get your hosting provider to do
this for you, then pay
>them to do it!  It's much easier to install the OS if
you have physical access.  If they won't do it, try to
find someone who has experience doing remote installs
and pay that person - and make sure they will cover
any fees to your hosting provider if something goes
wrong.

>Essentially, all you need to do is add the kickstart
file to the installation floppy disk image and modify
the installation disks startup script to use it.  Then
write that disk image to an empty partition on the
existing server.  I disabled the existing swap
partition and used it.  It doesn't matter that the
partition is bigger than the floppy image; once the
new system is running, you can just reinitialize it as
a swap partition.

>Once the disk image is loaded on the hard drive, add
it into the grub configuration and set it as the
default.

>Then reboot.
>
>And hope that you did everything right, because you
will not be able to see any error messages during the
installation.  It either works and the system reboots
on it's own, or it fails and you have to get the drive
restored and you start over.

>When I did this I was installing RedHat Linux 8, so
things may be very different now.  I make no guarantee
that it is still possible, but I have no
>reason to think it isn't.
>
>But it really is not easy to do a remote install like
this, and the chance of messing up the system is quite
high, so again, I urge you to try to find another way,
and if you must resort to this hack then practice it
on a spare machine at home first until you can get it
to work.

>Another note: I had to configure the kickstart file
so that it would skip X configuration, but unless you
will need VNC access, you can probably just not bother
to install X at all.

>Eris Caffee

Rik Herrin