RHEL3 dynamically rescan scsi bus to mount cluster luns

Gibbs, Simon Simon.Gibbs at informa.com
Thu Jun 2 11:16:20 UTC 2005

I¹ve been looking through the QLA2x00 documentation (we¹re using QLA2340 FC
HBA¹s) and found this little snippet:

9.6 How To Force Rescan Of Devices
Starting from driver version v6.06.00b12 there is support for the mechanism
which allows the user to force the driver to do re-scan of the devices to
allow a new device to be added. This triggers the driver to initiate lun
discovery process.
To do this from the command line:

# echo "scsi-qlascan" > /proc/scsi/<driver-name>/<adapter-id>
(qlogic driver re-scans)

Where <adapter-id> is the instance number of the HBA.

Once that has been done the user can then force the scsi mid layer to do its
own scan and build the device table entry for the new device:

# echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
(scsi mid layer re-scans)

Where "0 1 2 3" is replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".

The scanning has to be done in the above mentioned order. First the driver
(qla2300/qla2200 driver etc) and then the Linux scsi mid layer (i.e. OS
scan) after.

I guess this is along the lines of what I need to do as well as an
additional command to update the PowerPath paths?
I¹ll have a go as soon as I have a minute ­ if anyone thinks I¹m heading
down the wrong track let me know.....