The Redhat Linux server always try to resolve the local IP addresson the DNS.

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Sat Jun 4 11:34:28 UTC 2005

I would check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file and check to make sure that it is looking at the correct information. I have mine and most of my unix servers (especially clusters) to look at the local host file then go to DNS for resolution. If your DNS Server is not finding the address, does this dns server have those entries or does it just serve your external connection (i.e. internet access) most companies have 2 DNS server. 1 on an inside ring for local resolution and 1 in the dmz for external resolution to resolve things off network. The internal DNS Server would forward requests for anything not in it's domain to the external DNS server.

If you have a single DNS server that handles internal and external requests I would check to make sure it's updating properly and that your /etc/resolv.conf has the correct parameters. Normally with DNS resolution that is going to the dns servers it normally takes anywhere from 5-60 (I thought it was closer to 5 but I could be wrong) seconds to timeout and go to the next dns server entry in your /etc/resolv.conf and that would repeat until it finds the address or goes through all your DNS servers.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services