Anyone used an Ecrix Autopak?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Wed Jun 8 13:05:08 UTC 2005

I've got an Ecrix Autopak 1x15 tape drive hooked to a RHEL 3 box, but
I can't seem to get it to work.  For instance:

# mt -f /dev/nst0 load
/dev/nst0: Input/output error
# mtx -f /dev/sg0 status
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

An mtx inquiry also appears to return the wrong thing:

# mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'ECRIX   '
Product ID: 'VXA-1           '
Revision: '1100'
Attached Changer: No

Of course, there *is* an attached changer, but there appears to be no
device for it.

If I do `mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf` with a tape in the drive, it looks like
it's going to work, but the autoloader eventually gives up and starts
flashing yellow.  I found one other guy who had a similar problem, but
no solution was posted to him, either:

http://www.flux.org/pipermail/linux/2002-June/008994.html

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris St. Pierre