Anyone used an Ecrix Autopak?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Tue Jun 14 12:46:04 UTC 2005

The latest update: I've solved the hardware problems, but still can't
get a good dump.  (Keep your snide jokes to yourselves. :)  I can
manipulate the changer just fine, loading and unloading all day long.
However, I get "Invalid argument" errors when I try to run dump:

# dump -cj -f /dev/st0 -F '/usr/local/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg1 next' /etc
  DUMP: Date of this level  dump: Tue Jun 14 07:39:16 2005
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 (/ (dir etc)) to /dev/st0
  DUMP: Label: /
  DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
  DUMP: Compressing output at compression level 2 (bzlib)
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 14613 blocks on 0.84 tape(s).
  DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Tue Jun 14 07:39:18 2005
  DUMP: write error 30 blocks into volume 1: Invalid argument
  DUMP: Do you want to rewrite this volume?: ("yes" or "no")

If I answer yes, it changes to the next tape and gives the same
error.  If I answer "no," it aborts the dump.  I tried erasing a tape
with 'mt -f /dev/st0 erase' and the process hung and wouldn't respond
to kill -9.  Basically, it seems that anything that manipulates
/dev/sg1 (the library device) works, but things that manipulate
/dev/st0 (the tape drive device) don't.  The status of the tape drive
seems fine, though:

# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x80 (DLT 15GB uncomp. or
Ecrix).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN