System hardening process prevents non-root mozilla display

Clark, Patricia Clarkp at osti.gov
Wed Jun 15 15:13:19 UTC 2005

I've hardened my systems according to the CI Security benchmark
recommendations using custom scripting (not Bastille) which include RHEL
v3.  In doing so, a regular user can actually launch mozilla, but it
never actually displays.  I have to be root to see the browser.  I've
tried back tracking to see what I did to cause this, but I'm not finding
the specific configuration that is involved.  I'm also not finding
anything in the log files in the way of errors to provide focus.  I've
been looking at X configurations and file permissions.  When I google, I
get mostly How-to's.  I've been to xfree86 web site and rummaged through
man pages.  I'm sure this is something simple staring me in the face,
but ...  Can someone point me in the right direction?

The systems are RHEL WS & ES v3 Update 5 and completely patched and the
current RH mozilla rpm.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator
Office of Scientific and Technical Information