NIC card problems

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Mon Jun 20 18:01:35 UTC 2005

Michael Kearey wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:35 -0400, Bill Tangren wrote:
>
>>I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2800 and installed Linux on it. I have
>>installed Linux on several boxes and had few problems, but I definitely
>>have a problem this time.
>

> There are several flavours and versions of 'Linux' around. Since you
> posted in redhat-list, it is safe to assume that it's Red Hat OS. But
> what version, and what release:
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release

RHEL ES4

> I don't know of any specific problem with the e1000 modules for RHEL 3
> or 4, but it is very likely that a simple update of the system will
> help.
>

> So if you have RHEL3 or 4 and registered with RHN, :
>
> up2date -u
> up2date -u kernel kernel-utils --force

The network cards aren't working, so this won't work, as of yet. I am
considering putting the updates on a CD and updating that way.

> If you have the SMP kernel, use 'kernel-smp' in the list of updates to
> force.

This is interesting. I did this install on a new machine, and told it to
install everything. It installed both kernel-2.6.9-5.EL and
kernel-2.6.9-5.EL-SMP. I deleted the SMP kernel, as there is only one
cpu. Don't know why the install did that. I've never seen it do that
before on any other machine.