eth0 has different mac address than expected

James A Savage james.savage at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 01:20:08 UTC 2005

I installed RHEL v4 successfully on a dual boot Compaq deskpro (EN series).
Installed all of up2date recommended patches except new kernel patch.
Installed Oracle 10g.  Rebooted to Windows 2K workstation.  Rebooted to RHEL
and interface on eth0 will not come up.  Go to System-config-network and try
to activate interface, but receive message "Device eth0 has different MAC
address than expected, ingnoring".  Go to Edit, Hardware tab to verify the
MAC address, Probe returns errno 19 - no such device. I have verified that
the MAC address is correct, and have verified that the NIC is working (boot
to W2k and no problem).  I have tried "#service network restart", but this
fails also.  Ifconfig does not recognize the eth0 interface.  Additional
configuration information is below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

           Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux
           Version: 4
          Platform: i386
        OS/Version: Linux
         Component: system-config-network

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
1.3.22-1

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Applications, system settings, network
2. click Activate button
3.

Actual Results:  Receive message "Device eth0 has different MAC address than
expected, ingnoring"

Expected Results:  activate eth0 interface