Fedora core 4 and MySQL problems

Frappy John frappyjohn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:23:26 UTC 2005

Wait! Stop! Don't reinstall anything.

On 6/24/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I upgraded my Redhat 9 to Fedora core 4 a few days
> ago.  I can bring up the desk top in GUI mode, I
> believe that's run level 5.  I checked my apache and
> PHP are both in running shape.  But I have one problem
> with mysql.  The server is supposed to come up as a
> service but it does not.  The following shows up when
> I do service –status-all
>
> /etc/init.d/mysql.server: line 121: my_print_defaults:
> command not found
> Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql.server start|stop|restart
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

The error message merely says that /etc/init.d/mysql.server doesn't
recognize the request you just gave it.

Try the ps command to see if mysqld is running:

   ps x

   ps x | grep mysqld

(There is probably also a desktop gui utility that tells you what
processes are running).

If it's not running, try running it.

   service mysqld start

Then configure your system to start it automatically at boottime (in
the System V service configuration)

> My guess is that I need to uninstall the mysql and
> reinstall from a newer rpm.  Am I on the right track?

No. That's using a jackhammer to drive a nail. Besides, we all need to
understand the details of system configuration. Otherwise we just keep
pulling out the jackhammer!

> How can I be sure the after I install a new version
> that it will come up as a service?

Read up on "System V init"

> Thanks for your help.
np